SOAR Fox Cities is the 3rd largest Special Olympics agency in the state. Each agency is financially independent and responsible for supporting all the expenses accumulated throughout the year. The eight sports our agency currently offers are Bowling, Team Basketball, Basketball Skills, Powerlifting, Aquatics, Track & Field, Softball, Tee-ball, and Bocce. For each sport we require the athletes to pay a fee depending on the expenses that sport includes.
Special Olympics is dedicated to empowering individuals with intellectual disabilities to become physically fit, productive and respected members of society through sports training and competition. The sports we offer gives our athletes a safe fun environment for them to grow in self-confidence, keep a steady social life, and practice healthy living by being active.
We currently offer the following sports:
- Bowling – the bowling season extends from September through Early December.
- Basketball – the basketball season runs from early December – early April. The basketball break down is as follows:
- Basketball skills – for the athlete not ready or not interested in playing team basketball.
- Team Basketball – each traditional basketball team may have up to 10 athletes.
- Power lifting – practices are January-early June. Although that seems like a long time, this is a grueling sport requiring commitment and training. It is also, coed…a chance to venture out and explore a new sport (on-site visits are allowed and encouraged if you want to really see what it is like).
- Aquatics – practices are February – early June.
- Track & Field – practices are April – early June.
- Softball – practices are late June –early August. This is a coed team and athlete must be able to hit a pitched ball and have a good understanding of the game rules and strategies.
- Tee-ball – practices are June – early August. This is a coed team, athletes hit off a “tee” and are still learning the rules/strategies.
- Bocce – practices are May – early August.
Each sport has a participation fee (see chart below). Financial assistance is available upon request. Also, by becoming a “member” of SOAR Fox Cities (see membership form) the athlete pays the reduced member rate.
|Basketball Team & Basketball Skills||$40.00||$55.00|
|Power Lifting||Call for details|
|Track & Field||$35.00||$55.00|
Athletes’ fees must be paid for the sport in which they are participating (this includes state fees if applicable) before they can register for another sport. Financial assistance is available if needed. Ex: If the athlete is participating in bowling and intends to play basketball, he/she must have bowling fees paid before registering for BB.
Please keep in mind, the athlete is not required to compete in district and/or state tournaments. He/she may choose to participate in practices only. If the athlete does plan to compete in district and/or state, any fees assessed by the state office and SOAR Fox Cities will be passed on to the athlete.
The required Application for Participation in Special Olympics (medical update) form can be found on the Special Olympics website (see Special Olympics Wisconsin Forms section below). Medical updates are required on a three-year cycle but can be updated every year after the athletes’ annual physical.
SOAR Fox Cities Special Olympics Handbook is available upon request.
Special Olympics Wisconsin Forms
- Athlete Physical Form
- Athlete Release Form
- Athlete with Down Syndrome Form
- CHECK WHEN YOUR MEDICAL EXPIRES HERE
Coaches, if your team is in need of new equipment or uniform, please fill out the Special Olympics Expenditure Request Form. All requests will be pending SO Coodinator and Executive Director’s Approval. Any purchases made without prior approval will not be reimbursed. Thank you.